11 Things Broadway Has Taught Me

Thursday, August 24, 2017

If you haven't guessed it already, Broadway is my life.  Although there are lots of sappy reasons why I love Broadway there are also certain things that it has taught me.  Theatre has been a major part of my life for the past few years and there's nothing in the world that I would trade it for.  I have made so many friends and there's so many things from being in theatre and from loving Broadway.  Theatre has also had a positive impact on my life and I truly do believe that it has guided me in the right direction since I was a child.  Needless to say I would be lost without Theatre and I also know a lot of people would feel this way as well.





Today I'm going to share with you 11 things at loving Broadway and Theatre has taught me.  There's probably a ton more than I list now but these are the essential life lessons I've learned throughout my years performing.   Whether it's from the amazing people and actors I've met to simply performing onstage myself, Theatre truly is the love of my life and I'm very glad to share this with you today

1. We're All Doing The Same Thing
One time a few years ago and my very first voice class, I was extremely nervous when we were warming up our voices.   Then someone said something that I will never forget nor have I ever, "It's okay, we're all doing the same thing".  I often think about this when I'm in a nervous situation or awaiting an audition but I'm very anxious about.  You see is actors we're all doing the same thing.  We're all following our dreams and we're all willing to embarrass ourselves to achieve those dreams.  

Like the cheesy lyrics from high school musical "we're all in this together", and it's true.  

2. Being Brave
It takes an awful lot of courage to get up on that station embarrass yourself, let me tell you. this is actually one of the things I love most about performing.  For simple show you can go out on stage and be someone else, anyone else that you want.  You can create a character in an entire mindset for a completely different person than you are, and that is very special to me.  Theatre has taught me to be brave to go out and do the bold things that I would never normally do in my life

3. Strength
Performers are the most amazing people I've ever known.  Mainly because most actors have so much inner strength in themselves.  It's very painful to go to an audition and not get that audition, and often times some people may feel the need to quit performing.  But the strongest actors will keep on going and keep auditioning and auditioning again until they finally get an audition callback.  It takes an awful lot of strength not to give up.

4. You Are Special
Everyone is unique and theatre has really showed me how many people out there are so unique.  Everyone has a story, everyone has a background, and theatre really brings that all together. Theatre has also taught me that I am special and I am my own person and that I can get up on stage and be myself (along with someone else!).  

This applies to everyone, so always remember that YOU ARE SPECIAL!!





5. Be Outgoing
I have always been a very shy and timid person, and Theatre has really brought out the best of me.  Theatre has taught me to talk up more and be myself more because there is nothing more important than knowing who you are.  Sure sometimes I am a very shy person but usually when I am around my fellow theatre friends and probably the loudest person!  I'm so thankful for us Broadway and theatre making me more outgoing than I've ever been in my life.

6. Find Your Talent
You really find what you're talented out when you're performing.  Maybe you discover you're actually not a great singer after all, but rather a great actor.  You can also find out what you're comfortable doing and what you're not.  If theatre isn't your thing, it just isn't your thing there's nothing you can really do about it.  But it should encourage you to go venture out and find what you are talented at and what you are extremely passionate about, and that is the dream you should follow.

7. You Can Handle it All
Rehearsals can be long and exhausting, and theatre has really boosted my tolerance up.  You can also learn to withstand more drama and more tough situations.  Broadway in Theatre really builds you to be a stronger person than used to be.

8. Be Yourself
There's not a better place for you to truly be yourself, than when you are performing.  You really cannot be the best you can be unless you are being truly yourself.  If you aren't who you really are, then who are you?  

9. Not Everything Lasts
Whether it's post show depression, or you're really sad that your favorite show just closed, nothing ever really lasts!!  Broadway has made me really more tolerant to knowing things are more short lasting than they are long-lasting.  Although it's always wonderful to live in the moment and enjoy every second you have with what you love. One of my favorite shows on Broadway is closing next month, and boy am I going to be depressed!!

10. Stars Are People, Too
Broadway stars are honestly the most sincere and kind hearted people I know.  Sure there is rude ones now and then, but most of them are just absolutely down to earth and grateful for where they are.  I'm actually friends with a few of them and they really taught me how to not be "starstruck" so to say.  If you are ever stagedooring a show, don't be nervous to go up and talk to your favorite actor they love hearing the kind words you have to say to them!



11. It's Another Day of Sun
As a song from La La Land says, it's just another day of sun.  At the end of the day, you just have to keep doing the same thing until you get good results.  You'll wake up in the morning, try your best and follow your dreams, and that will lead you to the life that you want to live.  And when they let you down, you'll get up off the ground, the morning rolls around and it's another day of sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment